When it comes to protecting your bathroom, keeping your vanities from water damage is a top priority. After all, nobody wants to spend their time and money fixing water damaged cabinet. But don’t worry, with a few simple steps, you can keep your bathroom looking beautiful for years to come. In this blog, we’ll be diving into the best waterproofing cabinet tips. So, whether you’re a seasoned DIYer or just looking for a few extra options to waterproof bathroom cabinets, this blog is for you! Get ready to learn how to waterproof for bathroom and keep your space looking new.
Best materials for bathroom cabinets
When it comes to remodelling or updating your bathroom, choosing the right materials for your cabinets and vanities is crucial. Not only should they be stylish and complement the overall aesthetic, but they also need to be durable and able to withstand the moist and humid environment of the bathroom. To ensure your bathroom cabinetry’s longevity, it is important to consider waterproof bathroom materials.
Wood cabinets bathroom
Wood is a classic and timeless choice for bathroom cabinetry. However, it can be prone to warping and cracking when exposed to moisture and humidity. When waterproofing wood in the bathroom, it is essential to use a waterproof sealant on all surfaces, including the edges, corners, and seams. Additionally, you may want to consider installing a dehumidifier or using a bathroom exhaust fan to reduce the level of moisture in the air.
MDF cabinets bathroom
MDF, or medium-density fiberboard, is an engineered wood product that is more resistant to moisture than solid wood. When waterproofing MDF in the bathroom, you should use a water-resistant primer before painting or finishing the cabinets.
Plywood bathroom vanities
Plywood is a popular choice for bathroom vanities due to its durability and stability. The trick to waterproofing plywood in the bathroom includes using a water-resistant adhesive when installing the vanities. Then, seal all surfaces with a waterproof sealant, including edges and corners.
Composite cabinets bathroom
Composite materials, such as engineered stone or solid surface materials, are often used in bathroom cabinetry due to their durability and water resistance. When waterproofing composite vanities in the bathroom, use a waterproof sealant on all surfaces.
How to waterproof existing bathroom cabinets and vanities
Exposure to moisture and humidity can cause these bathroom vanities and cabinets to deteriorate over time. To protect them, waterproofing cabinets for the bathroom should be at the top of your mind. If you’re planning on waterproofing bathroom vanity units, there are several steps you can take to waterproof them.
- Waterproof bathroom vanityAn effective way to protect your bathroom vanity from water damage is by waterproofing it. Use waterproof paint for bathroom cabinets as a waterproof sealant to the surface of the vanity. This will help to prevent water from seeping into the wood and causing it to warp or rot. Some popular waterproofing products include polyurethane, wax, and silicone sealants. It’s important to follow the instructions carefully and to apply multiple coats if necessary to ensure full protection.
- Put contact paper on the bathroom counterAnother simple way to waterproof your bathroom vanity is by waterproofing wood countertops. This will help to prevent water from seeping into the wood and causing it to warp or rot. You can choose a pattern or color that matches your existing bathroom decor, and it’s easy to clean and replace if needed. Contact paper is an affordable and effective solution for waterproofing bathroom vanities, and it can be cut to size to fit any surface.
- Install water-resistant cabinetsAnother way to keep your bathroom vanity protected from water is to install water-resistant cabinets. Look for cabinets made of materials that are naturally resistant to moisture, such as high-gloss vanity cabinets made of PVC or MDF. If you already have wooden cabinets, you can have them coated with a water-resistant sealant to protect them from water damage.
A few last tips on how to keep water off bathroom cabinets
Bathroom cabinets can be a great way to add storage space and style your bathroom. However, the water can easily damage them if proper precautions are not taken. That is why waterproofing bathroom cabinets is a must. Here are a few tips on waterproofing vanity cabinets to help keep water off your bathroom cabinets and keep them looking good as new:
- Keep your vent maintainedProper ventilation is key to preventing water damage in your bathroom. Make sure your bathroom has a working exhaust fan and that it is being used regularly to remove excess moisture from the air. This will help keep water from settling on your cabinets and causing damage.
- Repair any kind of leakingLeaks can cause water damage to your bathroom cabinets over time. If you notice any leaks, no matter how small, make sure to repair them as soon as possible. This will prevent the cabinets’ water damage from occurring.
- Install a shower enclosureShower enclosures can help keep water from splashing onto your bathroom cabinets. If you don’t already have one, consider installing a shower curtain or glass enclosure to protect your cabinets from water damage.
- Wipe fogged surfaces after using a bathroomIf you find that surfaces in your bathroom, including your cabinets, are fogging up after use, be sure to wipe them down. This will help remove excess moisture and prevent water damage.
- Seal the cabinetsTo further protect your bathroom cabinets from water damage, consider sealing them with a water-resistant sealant. This will create a barrier between your cabinets and any water that may come into contact with them, helping to keep them looking great for years to come.
By following these simple tips, you can help keep water off your bathroom cabinets and keep them looking beautiful and functioning properly for years to come.