If you own an electric vehicle, one essential piece of equipment you need is a reliable charger. This post is a crash course on everything you need to know about electric vehicle chargers. By the end, you’ll know what to look for in your new EV charger!
Types of Electric Vehicle Chargers
Three main EV chargers are available on the market: Level 1, Level 2, and DC Fast Chargers.
- Level 1 chargers are the slowest and least expensive type of charger. They typically come with your EV and can be plugged into any standard 120-volt outlet. Level 1 chargers take about eight hours to charge an EV completely.
- Level 2 chargers are faster than Level 1 chargers and can be plugged into any 240-volt outlet. Level 2 chargers typically cost more than Level 1 chargers, but they can charge an EV in four to six hours.
- DC fast chargers are the fastest type of charger available and can charge an EV in 30 minutes to an hour. They must be professionally installed and typically cost more than Level 1 or 2 chargers.
Choosing the Right Electric Vehicle Charger
Now that you know the different EV chargers available, you may wonder which one is right for you. The answer to that question depends on a few factors, including:
- How often you drive your EV
- The type of outlet you have access to
- Your budget
If you only use your EV for short trips around town, a Level 1 charger should be enough. However, if you frequently take long road trips in your EV, you may want to invest in a Level 2 or 3 charger.
Likewise, if you don’t have access to a 240-volt outlet, a Level 1 charger is your best option; if you do have access to a 240-volt outlet, either a Level 2 or 3 charger will work for you.
Finally, your budget will also play a role—Level 1 and 2 chargers are less expensive upfront but will take longer to charge your EV; Level 3 chargers are more expensive but will charge your car much faster.
As an electric vehicle owner, you must have a reliable charger for your car. Consider the different types of electric vehicle charging stations, and then consider your personal needs. You’ll surely find the perfect electric vehicle charger in no time! For electric vehicle charger installation, find your nearest specialist.