The best thing about saving a file in pdf format is it looks exactly as you intend it to. Most pdfs begin life in another format, such as Word, and are then converted into the pdf format. When you send a pdf to someone, and he or she opens it, the person will see elements like fonts, spacing, and images in exactly the same way as they appear in the source material. However, without the right tools, the recipient of the pdf will find it difficult to edit the file to make changes. The good news is there are several ways in which you can edit a pdf document.
Use Microsoft Word or Conversion Tools
Some Word programs, like Word 2013, allow you to edit a pdf document in Word format. Simply open Word, go to File, and open the document you want to edit. However, not every Word program can open pdfs, and often you will end up with such different formatting in the Word document that it takes a long time to edit.
There is an easier way to convert pdfs into Word format or vice versa for editing, though. With a free converter for PDF to word, an original-pdf document’s formatting is preserved, regardless of how complex your pdf is. You do not need to download any software, as the conversion is processed online. All you need is internet access and a web browser. Converting a pdf to a Word file to enable editing is as simple as following these steps:
- On the conversion platform, drag and drop your pdf file, or select it from Choose File on your computer.
- Select which Word output you want the file to be converted to, such as .doc or .docx.
- Click the Start Conversion button to begin the process.
- Click the Download File button when the file has finished converting to Word.
Use Google Docs
It is possible to edit a pdf using Google Docs. All you have to do is:
- Log into Google Drive with your account.
- Select the pdf to upload and click Open.
- A new editable file will open.
Although the process is simple, there are some problems with using Google Docs to edit pdfs. The main issue is formatting, and images may not be retained, and you will actually be editing text in a separate version. In fact, you may not be open to all pdfs using Google Docs. Some editing functions are missing, too, such as adding and deleting pages.
Use Adobe Acrobat
Seeing as Adobe Acrobat creates pdfs, one of the best and easiest ways to edit a pdf document is to use an Adobe Acrobat program. However, you will need to purchase a standard or pro version.
Acrobat DC is the best tool to use. You can edit pdf documents from anywhere and on any device. Whether you want to change text, add new paragraphs, fix typos, add or crop images, rearrange pages, or add watermarks, Acrobat DC has it covered. There is a built-in spell checker, too, which can automatically fix mistakes. Furthermore, you can password protect the file with Acrobat DC. If you want to try before you buy, simply sign up for the free trial. Once you have an Acrobat Adobe editing tool like Acrobat DC, the steps to create edits are simple. All you need to do is:
- Open a file in Acrobat DC.
- Click Edit PDF in the right pane.
- Use the editing tools to add new text, update fonts, replace and resize images, and so on.
- Save your edited PDF by naming your file and clicking Save.